Monday, April 9, 2007

The Taming of the Shrew is very hard to follow and understand when, to me, seems likes its written in broken English. Aware of the fact that this piece was written by Shakespeare, it is easy to understand why it is written in such a way. After reading the first 3 acts I now know that I’d rather be gouging my eyes out with spoons than reading the rest of Shakespeares work. (No offense Prof. Harbottle)

"Am I a lord and have I such a lady?

Or do I dream? Or have I dreamed till now?

I do not sleep: I see, I hear, I speak,

I smell sweet savors and I feel soft things.

Upon my life, I am a lord indeed

And not a tinker nor Christopher Sly.

Well, bring our lady hither to our sight

'And once again a pot o' th' smallest ale."


This passage, Induction 2: lines 68-75, is where Sly finally falls to the Lord’s evil trickery and thinks that he is a Lord rather than a drunken homeless man after being picked up on the street by the Lord himself. Also, this passage shows that Sly finally realizes that he has a wife. To further the Lords misleading actions, the Lord tells the Page to dress in women’s clothing and act as Sly’s long lost wife. The humor that arises is illustrated when Sly believes not only that this person is his wife, but when he thinks this man dressed in women’s clothing is a woman. Furthermore, humor arises again when Sly wants to take his “wife” to bed with him. However, the Page denies his request because he is a man.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey want the write idea?

go to www.thewriteideaonline.blogspot.com